Winter Closure December 20, 2019-January 5, 2020: You can submit Interlibrary Borrowing (ILB) requests and renewals during Winter Closure, however, they will be processed starting Monday, January 6, 2020.
In support of University work, Stanford Libraries will borrow materials from a worldwide network of libraries for Stanford faculty, students, staff and visiting scholars.
How to request an item from another library
1. Check Stanford Libraries collections first - it's likely we have it!
- SearchWorks Catalog indicates if the item or source of an article/chapter is available in our library stacks and/or is available online.
- SearchWorks Articles+ for full-text access to 300 million articles and e-books across hundreds of licensed and open access databases.
- Citation Linker is another easy way to check for online access to a known article citation or an e-book.
- Proquest Dissertation & Theses Global provides full-text dissertations and theses.
- HathiTrust Digital Library includes millions of digitized items from research libraries worldwide.
2. If it isn't available at Stanford, place a request
To receive PDFs of articles or book chapters
Requests are often filled within a couple of days, though delivery times may vary according to supplying library.
- Stanford faculty, students and staff (except School of Medicine): Request PDF of article/book chapter (SUNetID required)
- School of Medicine and Medical Center researchers: Request PDF through DocXpress
To borrow books, microfilm, DVDs or other media
Requests are generally filled quickly, within 1-14 days depending on supplying library. Items from UC Berkeley are received within a day or two.
- Stanford faculty, students and staff (except School of Medicine): Request an item (SUNetID required)
- School of Medicine and Medical Center researchers: Request an item through DocXpress
Note: Requests will be completed using the best lending stream: BorrowDirect, UC Berkeley RLCP or other libraries.
- BorrowDirect books are delivered to the Green library circulation desk within 4 days. Items are checked out on your Stanford Libraries account for 8 weeks and are eligible for one 8-week renewal using My Account. If you need a BorrowDirect book longer, simply request another copy.
Stanford Libraries Interlibrary Services
Green Library East, Room 161, One Crothers Way, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305
Email: email@example.com Phone: (650) 725-1278
For other libraries wanting to borrow from Stanford Libraries, please see Interlibrary Lending.
Business, Law, Medical and SLAC researchers are served by a coordinate library: